Photo of author

By Dimakatso Modipa

Pupils of Tlotlompho Primary School in Garankua, Tshwane taken to clinic after consuming food poison
Pupils of Tlotlompho Primary School in Garankua, Tshwane taken to clinic after consuming food poison

The Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) is saddened to confirm that a Grade 3 boy learner from
Onkgopotse Tiro Primary School in Tshepisong, Roodepoort passed away at a local clinic due to alleged food poisoning on Friday.

It is alleged that two Grade 3 boy learners from the school complained of stomach cramps in class and were rushed to Tshepisong Clinic.

Unfortunately, after few minutes of receiving medical attention, one learner was certified dead. Accordingly, the surviving learner was transferred to Leratong Hospital for further medical treatment, and he is in a stable condition.

According to GDE spokesperson Steve Mabona, it is alleged that the two learners bought and consumed a pack of biscuits from a local spaza shop in the area.

“We wish to convey our sincerest condolences to the family of the learner, and the greater school.

community of Onkgopotse Tiro Primary School for their loss. Subsequently, we will dispatch our Psycho-Social Support officials to the school for necessary support. We wish the learner who survived this incident at a speedy recovery,” Mabona said.

He also said that “we continue to urge School Governing Bodies (SGBs), parents and communities at
large to always be vigilant towards the food or snacks sold in and around schools.

Where it is suspected that the food or snack may have expired, such information should be reported to the local health or police authorities for necessary action,” Mabona concluded.

In another incident of food poisoning, the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) has confirmed that about 22 learners from Tlotlompho Primary School in Garankua, Tshwane, were rushed to a local medical facility on 19 October after falling sick at school in the morning.

Out of 22 only four learners were transferred to a hospital.

It is reported that the affected learners started complaining about stomach cramps after eating snacks bought from a street vendor.

The learners experienced vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal cramps and shortness of breath.

Some of the learners were released from scholl to parental care after medical attention and those referred to Hospital were also discharged.

Necessary medical tests were conducted for investigations.

In another separate incident, 40 learners from Reimolotswe Primary School in Winterveldt were also
rushed to a local medical facility after consuming a type of snack called “dibombolina” which they
allegedly bought from different hawkers around the school.

Three learners were attended at a local medical facility and discharged while 37 were transferred and treated at the Hospital after experiencing symptoms associated with diarrhoea, vomiting and headache and they were later discharged.

Fortunately, only one learner was admitted.

Leave a comment